Thursday, April 24, 2008

Taking a stand.....

There's a country western song that has the following lyrics:

"You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything."

Although the above lyrics are from a secular song, they are so fitting for today.

Tomorrow, all across America, tens of thousands of High Schools will be participating in an event, that many are unaware of. The event is called:

"D*ay of S*ilence"

This is a day that is set aside for students and teachers who participate in the ho*mos*e*xual lifestyle to express themselves on the school property. Students/teachers will be arriving at schools all across our country wearing g*a*y rights t-shirts, and many will have their mouths taped shut making a statement that they WILL not talk all day at school.

Recently I went to this website here to see if our son's H.S. would be participating in this event. As I figured, his H.S. was listed as a participant. Upon finding this information I called our district office and was told that no schools in our district would be participating and that the information I received was wrong. I graciously thank the woman I talked too and assumed this event would not be happening.

Last night, Andrew came home from school and told us that his H.S. IS in fact participating. He said there were posters, and fliers everywhere explaining the events of the day. After hearing this I called the district office again first thing this morning. Of course, their response was, "our schools aren't participating." To which I said, yes they are.

I was told that someone would be calling me back to let me know the districts findings. Of course, 3pm came and went and I hadn't heard from the H.S. so I placed another call with the district. Within minutes the H.S. principle called me stating that by law, the H.S. doesn't have a choice in this matter (I'm going to be checking this statement out) and that by law the school has to allow this organization to do what they plan to do during school tomorrow.

The principle was quick to tell me that they've instructed the students that they MUST respond in class if asked a question, as not to distrupt the class. Yet, understanding the rebellious nature in kids, I'm sure the principles wishes will not be met.

From the research I've done, it's clear that most H.S. want this day to fly "under the radar" so to speak. H.S. don't want parents to know about this out of fear they may pull their children from school. Which is what we plan to do tomorrow.

Our H.S. is state funded, and each time our son misses school, the school does not receive funding that day. I wonder what would happen if the true church rose up and kept their children home and funding was cut for that particular day?

The Mi*s*sion Am*erica website also provides tools for letters that can be presents to the school stating WHY your child will not be in school. To see this letter, you can go here.

It's time that the true church stands up. It's time we draw a line in the sand. It's time we stop making everyone "feel good" in church! There is a right and a wrong.....even though so many of our churches are blurring the lines just so they can draw the masses.

Matthew 7:13 says, NLT
"you can enter God's Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way."

Church....the way is narrow....NOT wide and it's time that we, (christians) stand for purity and morality. There is a black and white....wrong and right.....and if we do not help our children understand this, I shutter at the future of our churches.

Trust me when I say I'm all for free speech...however, free speech is often given to everyone, except for Christians.

It's time to be Intolerant...not in a bully type of way, but by being as wise as serpants, yet as harmless as doves!!

My hat goes off to all of you Home School Mom's!!! Seriously!!!! This morning my dh and I were talking about this very issue...and the fact that if we had young children today, we'd home school them for sure. I know there are many good public schools, but I feel they are in the minority. May God richly bless each of you who Home School and make huge sacrifices to do so!!

We MUST protect our children.....their body, souls, and mind!!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,

    Thanks so much for stopping by today. I appreciate you sharing in our joy.

    I was very SAD to read this post. Can you IMAGINE??? God help this nation. We really need to pray and cry out like never before.

    Wow...

    Blessings to you my friend♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew this was happening, but none of the schools around here are participating (or so it seems). Good for you for keeping your children at home!!!! You're right - the church has a responsibility to take a stand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I LOVE your hair!!! How sleek and classy you look! WOW!

    Secondly, I love your passion! I can always know that when I come to visit you, you will be telling it exactly how it is!! You go girl, I wish I had your spunk!! For now I will just stand right behind you and cheer you on....Oh and BTW~ I checked the list and one of the schools in our district is on it but not the one my kids attend.

    Love and prayers,
    Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I guess since we do in fact homeschool...I wasn't aware of this! Oh my! How terrible! Way to go Mom for keeping your son at home tomorrow...I certainly will be on my knees for all the children who will be subjected to this horrific situation tomorrow at school all across our nation. Unbelievable!
    Thank you too for your sweet sweet well wishes for me....and for your sweet caring heart! As always you just reach out and bless me deeply! I cherish the friendship we share....you are a gift!
    Love you!!!
    Denise
    p.s. I absolutely LOVE your new hair do my friend!!! send me more pics...I want to see the whole thing! I'll be checking my email!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your hair!
    Also, thanks for the post and encouragement to stand up for our values. I saw this list and am thankful that our schools were not on it. I admire your steadfastness in communicating with the schools. We need to continue to stand guard in these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I live so "in the middle of no where" I had not heard about this. I homeschool my 5th grader and pre-k son, but my oldest and our foster daughter are in school. My husband teaches there and it only goes to 9th grade (so I would really be suprised if they did something like this). Is this just in one state, or nation-wide?

    I love what you said about taking a stand. My dad is our pastor and I am so glad he leads our church this way. We take strong stands and have lost some from our congregation because of it.

    Standing on God's Word.

    Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had not heard this either. I am sure they wanted it to be swept under the rug so they could receive their funding and not create any contraversy but I think it is wonderful that you are keeping him home.
    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kim- great post. I had a question that I wondered if you wouldn't mind answering for me. I noticed you added astericks to specific words in your post.

    I'm assuming it was so your site didn't pop up in a search engine when people were seeking specific info on that topic. (Though I will freely admit that I am not tech savy so you may have alternate reasons)

    I wonder however, IF it is that you didn't want your site accessed by those looking for that info... WHY? You very eloquently, very clearly, very biblically- explained why observance of that day in the school system was inappropriate.

    I wonder what responses you may have received, what visitors you would've logged or who may have been brought to thought or contemplation because they found your post.

    Just wondering. And, from a homeschooling mom- I'm sorry your son was confronted with such a situation already. I'm not sure what I would do if my children were in that situation.

    Thanks again for the great post, Chelle'

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Seasons Of My Heart and leaving a comment. Please know that my prayer is that your heart is blessed and encouraged today.