Wednesday, June 25, 2008

~*~*My Yoke is easy and my Burden is light~*~*



When I’ve pondered this passage, the thought of a “yoke” my minds eye takes me to a field, where I'm watching two horses...joined together with a "yoke". As I watch the scene unfold the yoke seems heavy, uncomfortable, and honestly, something I didn’t really want to think about.

I continued to meditate on Matthew 11:30, asking the Lord to speak to my heart about the importance of taking on his “yoke”.

As I pondered this passage, I was reminded of this photo which illustrates to me my life when I choose NOT to be in his “yoke”.








I often invision God sitting in heaven looking down at me and chuckling as I often respond like an untamed horse, who’s constantly bucking the things I know I need to do, but choose not to do? Why is it, that I think it would be much easier to run my own direction. Often my direction leads to worry, fear, and doubt (removing myself from his yoke); rather than remaining in joy, peace and rest (in his yoke)?

Why is it that I so easily forget the scripture that says, my plans are to prosper you and not to harm you? The reality of this scripture is this: when I really believe this verse, I can rest, relax, and find great peace and joy in his presence….in his “yoke”.

Yet, more times than not, I choose my own way…my own path. Often I find that when I’m facing a trial or difficult situation, one of the first things I do is unhook myself from his “yoke”. Once I’ve done this, I slide into ‘self”. I begin to grumble, and complain not liking the situation I’m in. Yet, God reminds me that even though what I’m facing may be overwhelming, awkward, of difficult, if I’m persistent in staying in his “yoke”, my burden will become lighter.


God is such a Loving and Patient God who will allow me to travel down my own road/path; and more times than not, I find myself back tracking down that road/path like a dog with my tail between my legs knowing I made the wrong choice. Why is it that my pride always get’s in the way? Why is it that I feel my way is best?

God desires that I walk humbly with him. Period!! What does it look like when I'm humble? To me, I show humility by placing his yoke upon me…and letting him lead and guide my life. For when I choose my own way, I’m being proud and not humble, believing I know best.

I have found that when I align next to my Savior in his “yoke” I’m strengthened because it is no longer ‘I’ carrying my load/burden; but rather my Savior. When I'm walking...step by step in rhythm with him, my soul find rest. I find that when I take on his "yoke", we steadily walk "together" one foot in front of the other. Often I wonder if God wouldn't like a brittle in my mouth as well to keep me from wanting to look off to the right or the left, as if by doing that I'd find the peace I'm looking for?

When I’m in God’s yoke, this requires me to keep a steady pace……keeping my eye’s focused on the mark/what’s in front of me. When I’m in “his yoke”, I cannot become easily distracted.

Think about a team of horses in a "yoke". They have one goal...to reach the final destination. They reach this goal by walking together...shoulder to shoulder, stride to stride carrying the burden together.

Isn't this an amazing word picture of how our Jesus wants to walk with us as we daily take on his "yoke"!?!?


When I’m walking in “his yoke” I can listen must easier to the tender things my Savior shares with the secret places of my heart; and it's in this position, that I too, can share the secret's of my heart with the one who LOVES me with an everlasting love. When I'm walking in his "yoke" his ways, become my ways. When I continue to walk with him, I’ll continue to find him moment by moment, trial by trial, situation by situation, and circumstance by circumstance. For truly, when I seek him, then will I find him.

God’s desire for me is to soak in his presence. I cannot do that, apart from his yoke. For when I remain in his “yoke”, his presence is SO real to my heart. And after all, don't we all desire "clean hands and a pure heart"?

God loves each of us SO much that he’s designed a special path for us(why is it that so often we fall into “the grass is greener” syndrome?) to follow. I believe our biggest challenge is this:

Am I willing to remain “yoked” to him regardless of my circumstances and situations?

Remember, nothing we face, surprises God. He’s aware of everything, so why not rest in his presence and remain “yoked” to him?

I’m learning that my worst day with Jesus, (being yoked to him) is better than MY best day (outside of his yoke) without him!!!

We each face different situations, trials, and circumstances, yet our Savior, remains. Are you willing to give up “yourself”..and your "pride".. so you can take on his yoke, which is easy, and your burden will become lighter?

Isaiah 26:3 says,

"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you."

I want to keep my mind steadfast on him....and I'm finding that when I'm "yoked" to him...this will happen. And, the natural result of keeping my mind steadfast on him, is PERFECT PEACE, regardless, of where my feet tread.

In closing, I want to share one of my FAVORITE scripture verses found in Lamentations 3:21-23 (The Message)

"I'll never forget the trouble, the utter lostness, the taste of ashes, the poison I've swallowed. I remember it all-oh, how well I remember---the feeling of hitting the bottom. But there's on e other thing I remember, and remembering, I keep a grip on hope;

God's loyal love couldn't have run out, his merciful love couldn't have dried up. They've created new every morning. How great your faithfulness!!! I'm sticking with God (I say it over and over) He's all I've got left."

Father, in Jesus name I pray that each day, as I travel the journey you've set before me my heart will long to remain "yoked" together with you. There will be days when I take your "yoke"off, and try my own path...yet I know, that each day, your mercies will be NEW for me, so that after I've fallen down, you will pick my up again helping me...find your "yoke" of peace. Amen.

Kim~

3 comments:

  1. THIS was it! I already read and now have re-read it and loved your illustrations throughout of what happens when we leave the yoke He has for us. I pray that prayer right along with you, dear Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing the Lord whispered the words of this post right into your heart... just for me! How I needed to read these truths and be reminded of the ease of His loving yoke. Working full time and being in ministry also means my days are beyond busy, and I have been finding myself leaning on my own understanding and not allowing the Lord to carry the load. Oh, how foolish!

    Thank you for your obedience to write just what the Lord has given you. It ministered to me today.

    Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen and amen...I feel peace just reading this!!

    You are a blessing and your words are powerfully true.
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Seasons Of My Heart and leaving a comment. Please know that my prayer is that your heart is blessed and encouraged today.